Historic Home Tour

Marshall Michigan

Jay & Karen Larson Home
227 N. Kalamazoo

--blurb

Larson

This Italian Villa with its distinctive cupola was built in 1870 for John Cawood, a local engineer. Originally a rather simple square building, it was graced by the addition of its classic-style porch and replacement of one entranceway with the north bay window in the late 1800's.

The Larson’s have filled the home with a variety of Asian furniture and antiques collected on their trips to Japan and China but especially from the two years living in Shanghai, China. Look for antique Chinese wood carved panels in the front hall and two large Chinese silk embroideries which decorate a parlor wall. The house has many Oriental rugs including some on the walls. Also in the home are a carved teak table in the entry and a carved chair in the parlor. Of interest are many cloisonné pieces, an original 19th Century oil portrait of a young girl in the style of Lawrence in the living room and note the 17th Century Saddlewood brackets in the doorway between the parlor and the living room. Other collections include Orental applied art, antique textiles, Hadley pottery and scientific instruments.

Many changes have been made by the Larsons over their 30 years in the home. What was their dining room is now the home office containing a large curved mahogany desk, many Chinese bookcases and cabinets. The new kitchen was built in an unused room at the rear of the house. In addition to redecorating, the Larsons have added a greenhouse and an original pagoda.

Previous | Home | Next
 
 

Back to the top of this page
 

© 2006 Maggie LaNoue, Marshallmich.com

All rights reserved

The photos and text on this page may not be reproduced in any way.