Shortly after building their log
cabins the pioneers began to think about the establishment of
a school for their children. Mr. Sidney Ketchum managed to procure
a teacher from Ann Arbor, and Miss Ann Brown held her first classes
in a loft in one of the local cabins. By 1832 a pioneer schoolhouse
In the early days of Marshall history the village was separated into two hamlets, called the Upper Village and the Lower Village. One clustered around the Marshall House (present-day Marshall House Antique Centre) and the other at the west end centered around the Calhoun County Court House (present Brooks Fountain).
After much deliberation it was decided to build a new "Union" School in the midst of a boggy swampland in the center of town. The land cost $525 and the building $5,375.91. The architect was T.T. Gregg and contractors were O. P. Austin and Benjamin Drake.
The Marshall Union School first opened for classes on April 8, 1851.
Visit Marshall Public Schools today.