Historic Home Tour
King & Spaulding Home
With an obvious love of Scottish architecture, Alfred P. Stuart built this Cotswold Cottage revival home in 1938.
It remained in the Stuart family for 65 years, most recently occupied by Frances Stevens Stuart. Partially constructed of locally quarried Indiana sandstone from an 1836 church, the interior design was greatly influenced by the Colonial Revival style of the times with an enclosed front entry.
Rounded interior archways, and walnut-stained
beech woodwork throughout.
After 14 years in Chicago, their ever-growing interest in the American Arts and Crafts movement, as well as a particular appreciation for Mission and Chicago Bungalow styles led them to recreate a footprint reminiscent of 1915 and their desire to capture the simple, warm and welcoming atmosphere of this brief post Victorian period.
Previous | Home | Next
Photos courtesy of Jan Lee, Backyard Photography
© 2004 All Rights Reserved
Back to MarshallMich.com