Carpenter Gothic, owned by Paul and Becky Davis, was last on Home Tour
in 2001. The home was built in 1858 by Horatio Nelson Banks and his
wife, Marie, on land purchased for $40.
The original woodwork, known as “egg and dart,” is found throughout the
home. The first floor bedroom wall was removed in the 1980s to make a
large country kitchen (where Paul’s golfer collection can be found.
Since their purchase of the home in 1991, the Davises have painted the
exterior, refinished the home’s original wood floors, rebuilt the front
porch, added many improvements, and redecorated throughout.
Many antiques collected over the past 40 years, are displayed
throughout the first floor. A combination hutch and dry sink from the
1800s is located in the dining room, where the table is set with
antique dishware. A Coates and Clark spool clerk’s cabinet can be found
in the front room, as well as Becky’s owl collection and a number of
smaller antique pieces.
Paul and Becky enjoy volunteering in the Marshall community. They have
both involved with the Marshall Historical Society, the Oaklawn
Hospital Auction, the Garden Tour, the Marshall Area Chamber of
Commerce, the First Presbyterian Church, and much more. Be sure to take
special notice of Becky’s beautiful gardens that have been featured on
Marshall’s Garden Tour.