Historic Home Tour

Marshall Michigan

Sander Home
420 West Mansion

The Sander home was built in 1867 by engineer Thomas Nixon and acquired by prominent Marshall citizen Charles T. Gorham in 1870 who established the 1st National Bank of Marshall, served as State Senator, Secretary of the Interior, and Minister to the Netherlands. Gorham either gave or sold the home to his son Seldon, who added the turret, circa 1890, changing the once Greek Revival home into the Queen Anne you see today.
Seldon was responsible for installing one of the first telephones in Marshall at this residence in 1886. Since purchasing this home in 1993, the Sanders have refinished the hardwood floors, reconnected doorbells and the bell n the dining room that was used to summon servants from their quarters, dug out and restored the pond in the back yard, brought old flower beds back to life, repainted the house, and added a new roof in 2003.



 

Previous | Home | Next

 

 

Photos courtesy of Jan Lee, Backyard Photography
© 2004 All Rights Reserved

 

Back to MarshallMich.com